To make this as low cal as possible, you can serve it with veggies like carrots instead of chips. You really can't get around using avos because they are the basis of the recipes obviously but what you dip in it can be very little calories. The only calories in guac is from the avocados so if you are making this dip for a party, you will at least be sharing the calories with others. Splurge and just go for it, avocados are awesome for you and contain many vitamins and minerals plus healthy fat. Keep in mind I'm making this for a lot of people so I'm using way more avos than I would normally use. There is really no wrong way to make this recipe so use as much tomatoes, garlic and onion as you wish.
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, chopped small
1 sweet onion, chopped small
1 tbsp of powdered garlic or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tbsp of sea salt
1 tbsp of fresh pepper
2 tsp of cumin, optional
1 tsp of red pepper, optional
Juice from 1 lime
Peel the avocados and pit them and scoop into a large bowl. You can chop them up before you mash them if it's easier. Chop the onion and tomato into small pieces as well as the fresh garlic and add to the avocados. Mash well and completely. Add the spices, lime juice and cilantro if you are using it. Mash until everything is mixed well. Taste and add more of a spice if needed. Serve with non-GMO corn chips or veggies like broccoli, carrots or sweet peppers. Super easy for a party!
Happy Earth Day!! Did you know that animal agriculture is responsible for most of the depletion of the ozone layer and the #1 cause of global warming? If everyone on earth gave up meat, can you imagine how much the earth would benefit from that? We all can do our part in helping the earth and the steps we take can be worked into our daily schedule.
1. Collect all food scraps in a bag in your freezer and take them to a compost drop off weekly
2. Reuse then recycle
3. Don't spray anything with pesticides or bug spray or anything from an aerosol can; this damages the ozone layer, kills bees and contaminates our food. Why do we care about bees? They pollinate our food!! Without bees, we would be lost.
4. Plant flowers for bees. They will hang around your garden and not you.
5. Teach your children to live a sustainable life. Teach them to love animals and care for plants and nature.
6. Go vegetarian and then vegan. The transition will be easier.